Sun Protection Tips & Tricks for Every Age
By Dr. Alexis Stephens
Recently released data shows that Florida ranks highest of all US states for skin cancer rates. Everyone is susceptible to skin cancer. Use these sun protection tips to mitigate your risk while enjoying life in the Sunshine State.
- Avoid direct sun exposure to babies under 6 months old due to skin fragility.
- Use sun-protective fabrics, clothing, hats and sunglasses with both UVA/UVB protection.
- Use non-nano mineral sunscreens to decrease potential irritation.
- Choose parks with sun protective shields.
- Look for SPF30+ broad spectrum water resistant Cream/Lotion/Stick/ or Spray.
- The best sunscreen for your child is the one he/she likes and uses consistently.
- Most important, let them see you putting on sunscreen and frequently reapply.
- Some aerosolized product gets lost before application. For full effectiveness spray in hands and then apply.
- For acne prone skin, look for non-comedogenic sunscreens to decrease the likelihood of clogged pores.
- The right sunscreen protects against acne, prevents flairs that are induced from sun exposure and helps prevent the skin from healing with dark spots.
- Protect your scalp and ears by wearing a hat and applying sunscreen to ears and hair part.
- Skin cancer affects all skin types, not just fair shades. Everyone needs sunscreen. Themicronized version is great for darker skin types to avoid the white film.
- Sunscreen is the best anti-aging ingredient to protect you from ultraviolet radiation induced wrinkles
- Plant based supplement Heliocare offers additional sun protection for days with long sun exposure.
- The SPF in makeup is NOT enough as it does not fully block UVA/UVB rays. Apply sunscreen before putting on makeup.
- Your best line of defense, in addition to using the tips above, is doing regular skin checks and visiting a dermatologist if you notice new or unusual moles or growths.
Visit parklanddermatology.com/blog for product recommendations
Dr. Alexis Stephens
Board Certified Dermatologist
4360 State Rd 7,
Coral Springs, 33073