By Rosemarie Rutecki, PharmD, IFMCP – Functional Medicine Pharmacist
It is that time of the year when we want to start fresh and, once and for all, stay consistent with a food plan.
I will give you some tips to help you achieve your dietary goals.
1. Take out of your mind the word diet and focus on a healthy food plan, which will be your new lifestyle. A diet is something you do temporarily, a quick fix. Food is medicine and a code for your cells, and once you see food this way, you will not diet anymore.
2. Clean your pantry, get rid of all processed foods. Sugars will get stored in your body as fat and will not provide any nutrition, a reason why you might be constantly hungry. Learn to read the food labels. If you can not pronounce the ingredients, leave the item at the store.
3. Eat protein; protein is needed for detoxification and to build muscle mass. As we age, we lose muscle, which gets replaced with fat. Aim to consume 30g of protein per meal.
4. Eat the rainbow; your gut microbiome loves the diversity of foods. Try new foods. The more colorful vegetables your meal has, the more fiber, phytonutrients, and polyphenols you will be eating.
5. Ditch sodas and replace them with clean distilled water and tea. For example, green tea is a great addition, rich in polyphenols that protect your body against heart disease and cancer.
6. Be mindful and pay attention to how food makes you feel. If you feel sick when eating gluten-containing foods like bread, pasta, or bloating when consuming dairy. Cut them for 21 days and reintroduce them one at a time. See how you feel when you put them back. If there are no improvements in your health, you can try a more comprehensive Food Elimination Approach or do a Food Sensitivity Test to find out more information.
7. Do not starve yourself. If you want to lose weight, you have to try caloric restriction and combine it with a clean diet consisting of healthy protein, healthy fats, and carbohydrates. Find help with a Functional Medicine Practitioner that has experience with calorie restriction and nutrition. This combination is what brings the best results to my patients. They lose weight without experiencing hunger and eating a wholesome food plan.
8. Do not compare yourself with others. We are all on different health paths. What you need might be different from what others will need. Focus on yourself, focus on your journey, find what makes your body feel good, and stick with it.
9. Are you eating healthy and can’t lose weight? Do you continue having gut issues? It might be time to get a microbiome stool test from a Functional Medicine Provider. Some gut bacteria and parasites are associated with obesity, gut issues, and overall health. When the gut microbiome is balanced, weight might come off more quickly; the autoimmune process will improve, and you will feel better overall. Some studies suggest that intermittent fasting is as effective as a typical low-calorie diet for weight loss. You can visit https://fastingapps.com to find the right intermittent fasting app for you.
Put yourself first in 2022, you are worthy!
For more information, please see www.functional-pharmacy.com