By Barbara Gobbi
Are you and your kids ready for a rockin’ mid-year break? If you’re anything like me, you have a million things to do with the kids this summer, but sometimes come up with the usual excuses; it’s too hot out, it’s going to be a monsoon today, I have to wash my hair. Stop it!!
Don’t waste another minute….There’s all kinds of time to check off your family’s summer activity bucket list because we live in one of the most kid-friendly destinations there is! We’ve even included some indoor options.
1) Saveology Iceplex – Enjoy a rainy day in South Florida and cool off at the Iceplex. With public skating sessions every day of the week. 3299 Sportsplex Drive, Coral Springs (954) 341-9956
2) Young At Art Museum – This hands-on children’s art museum will have them discover unimaginable sites and sounds! 751 SW 121st Avenue, Davie, (954) 424-0085
3) Funderdome – This family fun center brings out the kid in all of us! Combining technology and fitness-based activities to get your kids moving. 1455 SE 17th Street Fort Lauderdale (954) 525-1816
4) Coconut Cove Water Park – This is no ordinary water park! Float down the 897-foot river ride while the kids play on the water playground or enjoy the two waterslides. 20130 Regional Park Drive, Boca Raton (561) 629-8840
5) Sawgrass Nature Center & Wildlife Hospital – Enjoy hands-on activities on Wednesdays with Nature Explorers or Be Kind to Animals on Sundays and learn about animals and our environment. 3000 Sportsplex Drive, Coral Springs (954) 752-9453
6) Gumbo Limbo – Located along the beach in Boca, stroll along the boardwalk nature trail, visit butterfly gardens and the sea turtle rehabilitation center. Get your tickets for one of the sea turtle hatchling releases!1801 N. Ocean Blvd., Boca Raton (561) 338-1473
7) Morikami Museum and Japanese Garden – Yamato-Kan, or “Japan Through the Eyes of a Child” allows elementary school-aged children to learn about Japanese culture in an exhibit for them. 4000 Morikami Park Road, Delray Beach (561) 495-0233
8) Palm Beach Zoo – Every Friday evening from 5:30-9:00pm, enjoy Safari Nights, with children’s entertainment, roving animal encounters, live music, water play in the interactive fountain and much more. 1301 Summit Blvd., West Palm Beach (561) 547-9453
9) South Florida Science Museum – Over 50 hands-on exhibits, including a digital digital planetarium, aquariums and natural history exhibits to entertain and enlighten through science and technology. 4801 Dreher Trail North, West Palm Beach (561) 832-1988
10) BlueFoot Pirate Adventures – This high-seas voyage starts with face painting and a lesson in pirate slang. Board the BlueFoot, and everyone will discover their inner-pirate sailing in search of treasure. 801 Seabreeze Blvd., Ft. Lauderdale (954) 530-8302 Bluefootpirates.com
11) IGFA Fishing Hall of Fame & Museum – Become immersed in an underwater world filled with world record fish. The museum provides sport fishing and record information, interactive displays for children of every age and virtual reality fishing. In The Wetlands exhibit experience the natural environment of marshlands complete with live alligators. 300 Gulf Stream Way, Dania Beach, (954) 924-4370
12) Flamingo Gardens – More than just botanical gardens, the Everglades Wildlife Sanctuary enables your child to discover alligators, bobcats, panthers, otters, eagles, peacocks and of course flamingos. 3750 S Flamingo Road, Davie (954) 473-2955